What a day - I got so much accomplished. I finished all the Christmas things I needed to get done and was ready for Bella's Christmas show that night. I had no signs of contractions all day, however the previous day I had lost my mucous plug. The show was so cute - the kiddos all dressed up and singing - Bella did great for the first part when she was standing next to her friend Madison but the last part she was between two boys so she didn't look up - at all. We went home and I put her to bed - I was laying there watching TV about 10:30 and I started feeling contractions - sort of - I needed to use the bathroom and - well it just felt like something was happening - I knew that this was it. I waited a bit more though as I needed to make sure before heading to triage. AT about 11:00 I told Mike that this was it - and we left - the nurses at Triage were ridiculously slow. I walked in and told them that I was positive for group B strep - needed antibiotics and wanted an epidural. Very slowly they checked me in and got me in a room - but left us waiting in the room. Finally a nurse came in and checked me and I was at 4.5cm - I was staying - the contractions were getting worse and worse - still moving in slow motion they called a nurse to wheel me to a delivery room. 10 minutes later she arrived and I could barely handle the ride to the room - the contractions were so intense - and I guess no one cared because I was only at a 4.5 -maybe they thought I was a wimp. In the delivery room - they of course couldn't get the IV in me and had to try multiple times - which was frustrating as I was in so much pain. The dr with the epidural was in surgery and would be there in 30 minutes - I was ready to scream - in fact I was screaming, somewhat. The nurse finally decided o check me again - and I was SURPRISE at 10cm!!! She had not even done the paperwork questions for me - I did however manage to get some sort of signature on a form that allowed them me to have the baby. The dr then walked in and said that I was going to deliver the baby right now! I said but I needed an epidural and she said NO not happening - I was shaking so much from the pain I could not do anything that she asked me to do "Grab the back of your legs, pull your body forward, push, make no noise." - ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? My hands were shaking so much, in pain, that I couldn't find the back of my legs. Mike took one leg a nurse took the other and they both pushed me forward. Anytime I made a noise, as in this is the most painful thing that has ever happened to me, the dr yelled at me that every noise I made pushed the baby back up the birth canal. SO here I am having a natural birth and being told I can't make a peep. At one point mean doctor said "Maria the only way to stop the pain is to push the baby out." No sh*t!!! Mike even thought she was mean too - and she was! Finally after what seemed like forever but really wasn't Alexandra was born at 2:17am. She weighed 7 pounds 14 ounces and was 19.5 inches long. I wasn't able to hold her for a while I was still shaking and the dr had to deliver my placenta which ofcourse was stuck. Mike was happily bonding with the baby - who at this time and for the next three days was known as "baby" choosing a name was harder then we thought it would be. So the placenta wouldn't deliver which required my poor sore body to have to try to push some more - the dr said that in most cases women have epidurals and it doesn't hurt but to bad for me no epidural. Finally she was able to get it out - but with warnings that I would have some clotting do to it staying in for so long. Finally I was able to hold the baby. Instant love. She was/is so cute the nurses were showing her off commenting on how cute she was. :-) We needed to stay in the hospital 3 days because she needed to be monitored since she didn't receive all of the medicine for the group B - happily there were no signs of infection. oops more later - baby needs me.
Here I am 36 weeks pregnant -
Bella at her school's Christmas performance -
Ready to have the baby - still begging for an epidural - that never came -
They had me sign a paper saying that they could treat me - mid-contraction - note the signature looks NOTHING like my normal signature.
Alexandra is here and was worth all of the pain :-)

No comments:
Post a Comment